Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The Art of Storytelling: "About Last Night"

This is part 5 in an on-going series. The rest is available here:

1) "Unexpected Meeting"
2) "All Night Conversation"
3) "Breakfast Buddies"
4) "Past, Present, Future"



Camille lay in bed disgusted and mad. Staring up at the ceiling, she could not believe how drastic the last 24 hours had been. 4:43 glared at her from the digital clock on her armoire. The time was mocking her. She hadn't slept a wink in almost 48 hours. "I cannot believe that I fell for his shit. Why did i think that he would be different? Just because his approach seemed so real. I left myself open to early. I let him and his charming personality in." More than anything, she was mad at herself. "How did I end up here again? I cannot believe that this is really my life right now." she said to herself. The last few hours have been full of turmoil. She's been having so many thoughts about Jakob and his "wife." to say that Camille was pissed was an understatement. She was livid. She hates confrontational females. She had enough of that drama as a teen and young adult. She learned that wasn't who she was. She lived her life differently now. It had been at least a decade since she had been at odds with a woman over a man. This was not how she rolled. Camille knew how women could be and how things could escalate over a man who probably didn't give a damn either way. "All this drama over a man I hardly know is no bueno! Ever." she said. "Great, now I'm talking to myself. This is nuts!!"

Camille wonders "What if there is more to the story? I mean, he talked to me on the phone all night after spending hours with me at the coffee house. Where was his wife then? And, we also spent a couple of hours together for breakfast yesterday. again where was she? I could be setting myself up for the perfect okey doke. But, something about this just doesn't sit right. And he did seem totally caught off-guard by my accusation. What if...I was wrong? What if I was being played by this Yolanda, Yvonne, Yvette...or what ever the hell her name is??" Camille sat straight up in bed at 5:39 a.m. She truly confused. This was only a man she just met. "Why does he have to be so damn fine though? Ugh!!!" Camille decides that she has to know the truth. She has to give him a chance to tell his side. "Hell, what's the worse that can happen?" she ponders. "Ok, I'm going to reach out to Jak later. Whatever happens, happens." she says out loud to no one in particular since she lived alone. Finally, sleep decided to show up. Camille finally slept with thoughts of Jakob on her mind.

Camille awoke rested. She was in a better mood. She silently prayed upon waking. She already knew that today would be a great Sunday. She got out of bed and got herself together for church. She felt so much better than she did last night. "Ok, I've prayed about it and I'm letting it go." she says. She pulls on some dark blue jeans, grey sweater and grey boots. Making up her bed, Jakob crosses her mind for the 5th time this morning. She smiles before she can stop herself. "I'm going to give him a chance to explain this to me." Before leaving for church she sends a text. She leaves for church after putting her cell on silent. "There goes nothing. If it happens, it happens." she thinks.

Jakob was slightly distraught. He had left Camille a message and a text. He did not get a reply from either. He knew that this was probably a lost situation. "What could I say to her to get her to believe me?" he thought. "It's crazy because as a teen I lied my way into a bunch of women's panties. Because I was young and didn't care. This is different though. I haven't been that man in years." he continued to think. He was so angry at Yasmine. So angry that he was seeing red. He would deal with her. "I just met Camille. I could just walk away. It's too early for the drama. And, it's not like we really know each other. Maybe this is what's best." he tried to convince himself. He thought that he could just shake her off. "Yeah, that's what I'll do. Forget about her." he thought. It was settled. He was going to leave well enough alone.

He climbed in bed to get the rest he so desperately needed. He tried to sleep. But it was useless. Jakob tossed and turned all night. Camille invaded his dreams. Her face, her smile, her laugh. The way she pushes her hair behind her right ear when she talks. The way she seemed to stare straight into him. The way she smelled like a sunny day. She was under his skin. Already. Everything about her was tormented him in his sleep. Hours later, he gave up on sleep. His first thought when his eyes opened was "Camille." He shook his head and smiled. "Ok, I get it. I can't shake her not even in my sleep." He got up and went for a run to clear hi head. He put on his jazz playlist on his ipod and set out for his run. Leaving his cell phone behind because he was sure he wouldn't need it. "I have got to get a handle on my life," he thought. "What should he do about Yasmine? She is such a snake and I need to keep her out of my life for good." he thinks. He runs around the park that is located across from his condo. Running and jazz always made him feel better. Back at his house, his cell phone chirps with an incoming text message. it was from Camille. It read ""Jakob, I think we need to talk. Meet me at the coffee house at 1 if you agree. - Camille"

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment