Tuesday, October 02, 2012

It's My Hair: One Year Later


I DID IT!!! I have been natural for a year. I cannot believe I stuck to it. This was the undoing of 20 years worth of relaxers. That's a long time and it became a habit. It was what I did because it was what I knew. So, I made a decision and stepped out on faith and a prayer. I had NO idea what I was doing. None. But, I just knew I had to try it. I contemplated the natural route for almost a year. I started here and worked my way to there. I tried some new styles and experienced some growing pains during this year. I experimented with new products made specifically for transitioning and natural hair. I fought the urge to become a product junkie. I was lucky. I found what worked for me. Hair may not be a big deal to some of you but it is to me. And, getting my hair to revert back to its natural state has been a learning experience. I did not get caught up in the natural hair care boards or products or nonsense. I did what I wanted to do in the way I wanted to do it. I flat iron my natural hair because I still like the look of ultra straight hair. I don't do it often but I do it. Some say that this does not make me natural. I disagree. To me being natural means my hair is without the altering affects of harsh chemicals. I am natural by my and most others definition of the word.



My hair journey is far from over. I am basically just beginning. But, today I have passed a major milestone. I did it. I am so proud of myself. This has been one of the most difficult moves I have made concerning my hair. I have dyed it various shades of brown, burgundy, and black. My hair has been highlighted with brown and blonde. It's been short as a pixie cut or a bob or when I wore it longer. It's been ultra straight, shagged, and super curly. Since going natural, I've relied heavily on a few go to styles: like this or this or a bunI never had to pay much attention to my hair because it was trained to do what I wanted. I wrapped it every night it wasn't curly with a silk scarf. This was learned behavior. It's what Black girls were all taught to do at a young age. Hair is important in the Black community. But, it isn't everything. I have hair envy a lot these days. I have chronicled it here on Pinterest. I always see pictures of gorgeous Black women with the prettiest natural hair. I aspire to be that. I have a clear picture of my hair and what it truly looks/feels like. I cannot wait to wear my hair like this.

I will not say it has been easy. It has been a very exploratory road. There are days when I am completely over it. Over talking about, thinking about, and dealing with my hair. Those days are few and far in between. But, they do happen. They also happened when I had a relaxer as well. What I love is feeling my natural hair texture. I love the feeling of my hair in my hands. All of the kinky, coily, curliness of it. It's my hair. Changing my hair came with a change of mind state as well. I had to unlearn the lie hat I've been fed my whole life that relaxed hair is natural. No, relaxed hair is acceptable. But, it is not the only choice. I am 100% natural when it comes to my hair. My hair is the way God intended because this is the way it grows out of my head. How can that be wrong? I know now that it isn't. I am a better version of myself than I was a year ago. So, I'm excited. I set a goal and I stuck to it. One year later, I'm still here. Still loving my hair. I'm curious as to what's next. Don't worry, I'll keep you guys informed. It's my hair and it is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment