Sunday, October 07, 2012

Classic Music: Tweet "Southern Hummingbird"


This pick for "Classic Music" was fairly easy. I chose Tweet's debut "Southern Hummingbird." It is still arguably one of my favorite albums ever. I can admit that I wasn't that impressed with Tweet's first single "Oops...Oh My." Yes it was catchy and controversial. But, it really did nothing for me. I simply wasn't feeling it. I wasn't in a rush to buy her debut album either. I was in a record store (seems so long ago since they hardly exist anymore) to pick up Ashanti's debut album because "Foolish" was my anthem. While there, I saw Tweet's album right next to Ashanti. I copped both. I put "Southern Hummingbird" first. I was sold from the first song. I fell in love with material. The lyrics moved me and the music made me feel something. "Southern Hummingbird" became a staple for over a year.

Music has the ability to make you recall a very specific moment in your life.
This one always takes me back to my last semester of undergrad. The house parties, the nights we just hung out in my apartment discussing life, love and everything in between. Tweet was the background soundtrack. It was that important to me and my krewe. As usual, I was more impressed with the tracks that never received any radio play. Tracks like "Complain," "Always Will," "Beautiful," and "Smoking Cigarettes" became the soundtrack of my early 20's. Tweet was singing my romantic life through her songs. And, I was loving it. I turned so many of my friends onto her cd. We all loved her. When an artist has such a completely thorough debut, it's hard to top. This is true for her as well. Nothing she has put out since then has been as great. The truth is Tweet can saaannnggg. Her voice is serious. I would love to hear more greatness from her. Until then, I will continue to rock this album. Enjoy my favorites below.













No comments:

Post a Comment