Friday, October 26, 2012

Around These E-Streets (I)


I am a voracious reader. Whether it is books, magazines or online, I am almost always reading something. I wanted to share so interesting things I ran across this last week or some on the web. Hope you guys enjoy it.

° This article made me smile. It made me stand a little taller with my unique and weird name. I haven't always felt that way. It had more to do with the idiots I have came across in my past. The ones who decided that my phonetic name was too hard to pronounce or that it was fodder for comedy. I do love that I have a name that if you hear it, you never forget it. My name is my name. This author's story is one I've sorta experienced. So, I get her outrage and her pain. I also am soaking up her sunshine when it comes to taking a stance about her name.

° I was enticed by this article on feminism and submissive. I feel that I am equal part feminist and submissve woman. I have no problem playing both of those sides because they are both a part of me. I can stand up for women's equal rights and fight the good fight all while being a domesticated lady. It's not even a choice for me because I am who I am. My favorite quote from the article is this:
I want to be gentle and not crass, to possess a quiet strength and a soft power; I’d rather purr than roar any day.

° Women and babies are always a topic of discussion. This article sets out to destroy that myth that women have to have babies. Granted, I am of the mind that children are a part of my future. I do not judge those who choose differently. It's interesting to read that more women are happily childless. I get it. I am happy now. I just want the experience of being a mom. That is a dream that I only recently totally embraced. Very good read though.

° This happened here the other day. I am sick about this. I will never understand the mind of a parent that takes the life of their kids. Why?? Also, if the life of the parent is so horrible, why don't they ever just take their own lives? It's always young kids. This Mom shot her 3 y/o son in the head and drowned her 4 y/o daughter only because the gun jammed. A 4 y/o and a 3 y/o are now dead because no one stepped into help, to fight for them. If the Mom was known to have mental issues, why was she still in charge of her kids? Stories like this always piss me off because they could always be prevented. *sigh* What is wrong with folks?


° This blog chronicles one woman's journey through breast cancer. It is a great real life look into a devastating disease. It's still Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's a big deal and a cause that I support. It has affected my family in so many ways.


° My favorite rapper started his own youtube channel a few weeks ago. Elliot Wilson, editor of RapRadar.com, has a series called "The Truth." This episode focuses on veteran rappers putting out subpar material. I totally agree with everything he says in this clip. He talks about LL Cool J's new track "Ratchet" which is ridiculously awful. From the song title to the actual track, none of it works. Uncle L is too old to be dropping mess like this. It was followed by the Fat Joe's "Instagram That Hoe." Which is also a mess. I just don't get this nonsense from vets. I cannot do anything but shake my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment