Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's My Hair: Shrinkage Sucks


It's that time again. I have to discuss my hair issues. The one thing that I cannot fight is shrinkage. Shrinkage is the pits. I love this look. I love the way my hair feels. But, this shrinkage is awful. I have not fully grasped the concept of stretching my hair yet. I've worn this hairstyle a lot in the last year. But, this is the first time that I have truly experienced shrinkage. If the hairstyle wasn't cute, I would really be over shrinkage. I have said time and time again that this journey is about relearning how to manage my hair. I haven't been to a beauty salon in well over a year. The only people who have handled my hair are my sister and I. I've done this almost all by myself with only the help of Youtube natural hair vloggers and natural hair blogs. This has been a journey of faith and love. Even on a bad day, I am still loving my hair in its natural state.


The only thing I am upset about is that I didn't do this sooner. But, I also don't think I was mentally ready to do it before a year & a half ago. So, the weather is rather chilly and my hair reflects that. I washed it and braided it wet. This is something new as well. I usually get it braided damp or dry. I see a huge difference in the outcome. I like this look better as far as the texture. I do not like the shrinkage. My hair looks so short and it isn't. But, it is what it is. I'm just happy that it looks good. No bad hair days this way for a while. Have any of you dealt with shrinkage or stretching your natural hair? If so, what worked for you? Tell me something good. This is where I am right now with my hair. And, I'm happy with my progress. I think I will be cutting the last of my relaxed ends off next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment