Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Talk About: New TV Shows


I really hate getting caught up in new shows. Because you run the risk of them not being around. But, alas, I do it any way. Especially when it comes to scripted shows with Black leads. It is a rare feat. So, I try to support any and all positive Black programming. So, when I heard about the NBC show "Deception" I knew I would give it a chance. "Deception" is a cop murder mystery drama starring Meagan Good and Laz Alonzo. The show premiered 2 weeks ago. The first two episodes have been really interesting. Meagan plays an undercover cop investigating her childhood best friend's apparent murder. Alonso plays an FBI agent who has history with Good. I am intrigued by the possibility of what will happen. The family that this show is centered around is rich, powerful, evil and full of secrets. The ratings have been really good so far. It airs on Monday nights @ 9pm CST on NBC. Check it out if you like drama and cop shows.


BET "Real Husbands of Hollywood" premiered last night. It is the brainchild of comedian/actor Kevin Hart. It started as a skit on the BET Awards last year. I remember that the skits were hilarious. The first episode is an introduction to the characters. The show stars Kevin Hart, Robin Thicke, Nelly, Boris Kodjoe, Duane Martin, Nick Cannon and JB Smoove. I laughed the entire episode. The show is a play in the whole "Real Housewives" franchise. Kevin is silly as hell and extra. And, all of that works well for this show. I didn't have set expectations other than for it to be funny. So, they did exactly that for me. I cannot wait to see the next episode.


BET's "Second Generation Wayans" premiered last night as well. The show is centered on Damien & Craig Wayans & their struggle to get jobs in Hollywood. Both men are nephews of the Wayans that we all know. re are a few familiar faces on this first episode. Marlon Wayans, George Gore, Tatyana Ali, Kevin Hart & Deray Davis all appeared. The show is cute & funny. I like these guys. So I will be watching. I like the direction BET is going with this new programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment