Friday, January 18, 2013

Life of a Writer


“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.”
- Anaïs Nin


Writers are extremely creative people. This is also the gift and the curse. I believe that artists feel things more deeply than other people do. I know that I feel things very deeply. I sit with them for longer than I should, I worry about them much more than I should. This is just who I am. Just what my life is. I am a writer. I have been since at least the 3rd grade. It has been the thing I've most valued about myself. But, it's also the thing that drives me crazy. Whatever I am feeling or dealing with invades every aspect of my thinking. When I sit down to write, no matter the subject, I will end up writing about my current state of mind. This is fine if and only if I am writing for myself. But, when I am attempting to blog, this is a nuisance. I write about the exact thing I would rather not talk about. It makes my blogs sad and angry. And, I do not like to project those feelings into the universe. So, this makes it hard to blog daily. But, I write and write until I can get around my issue. I wonder if this is common for other writers? If they too deal with this stumbling block. I don't like it but I can't shake it. I guess it's just the creative process I have to go through to get to the good stuff. It's hard but worth it. So, here I sit, writing about anything but the topic at hand until the words find me. I have learned that this takes time. And, sometimes the words don't ever show up. Then, I just stop and start over the next day. It's what writers do. It's what I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment