Monday, January 21, 2013

Get Into It: "Django Unchained"


I was not in a rush to see "Django Unchained." Although I am a Quentin Taratino fan, slavery movies don't sit right with me. I have never seen "Roots." I have seen "Queen" and "Rosewood." Both movies made me very angry. Ridiculously angry. For that reason alone, I've avoided movies dealing with slavery. It's a touchy sensitive subject for me. I've read so many reviews about "Django Unchained." They range from favorable to "This movie sucks." I've never been the girl who follows anyone else's beat. I am very opinionated and I love that about myself. Fast forward to almost a month after the movie premiered, I watched it. And, I loved it. It was really good.



If you are looking for an actual factual movie about slavery, then this is not the movie for you. It's more of a bounty hunter love story. Django is essentially a superhero. Jamie Foxx was awesome as was Leonardo DiCaprio. Samuel L. Jackson was amazing in his role. The movie was very bloody as is the norm in a QT film. I've seen it twice. I loved it more the second time around. There are more than a few inaccuracies in wardrobe, speech and music choices. Like the truly random Rick Ross song midway through the movie is weird. It makes no sense at all. I mean, rap wasn't even a thought then at all. It just seems so out of place in a movie about slavery. But, I digress. "Django Unchained" is a really good movie. If you haven't seen, I suggest you get into it. Taratino does not disappoint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment