Tuesday, January 22, 2013

This Reader's Review: Part XIII: "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"


I read a book a few years that really stayed with me. It was Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet In Heaven." Albom is an amazing writer. His books have always impacted me. This one is my favorite by him. It takes the reader on a very unexpected journey through the five people. The characters have such depth. While reading, I was genuinely invested in every character. That, to me, is the appeal of a great writer. Only the greats can evoke that emotion from a reader. Albom does this effortlessly. I just recently re-read this book. I needed to be reminded of the message in this book. I think I've read this book at least 6 times. It never gets old. It actually seems to get better every time I read it.

"The Five People You Meet In Heaven" is an excellent story. The main character is an old guy named Eddie. In short, Eddie is killed during a heroic attempt to save a little girl from a falling amusement park ride. He is killed and sent to heaven where he encounters five people who significantly impacted him while he was alive. That is the short story. The stories that each of his five people weave is insane. I read this book in a few hours. I couldn't put it down. I needed to know how each person was affected by Eddie. It's a book that made me smile during and after I was done. It made me think of who my face people would be. It handles death in such a Frank and different way than I'm used to. I love a book that challenges what I think or believe. "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" did that and more for me. There is also a movie about the book as well. It's one of my favorite books. I recommend it to every one. If you haven't, you should read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment