Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Soul Has A Mate...Maybe



Soul mate - (noun) "A person with whom one has a strong affinity, shared values and tastes, and often a romantic bond." Soul mates is an idea, a notion that I've always believed in. My definition of the term has changed over the years. As children, we are fed the fairytales of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and the ever present Prince Charming. The story always ends with everyone living happily ever after. These couples are deemed soul mates. A conversation last night sparked the issue of soul mates. Are we only allowed one true soul mate? Have you met your soul mate? I wonder how many people are actively pursuing their soul mates and how many have had the pleasure of meeting and marrying theirs.



I used to naively believe that there was only one true soul mate. That one person who was meant for you. Thankfully, there is wisdom associated with age. I've changed my stance on the issue. I think we meet people who possess the soul mate qualities at different points in life. It mainly has to do with what you are open to in life. If I had meet my soul mate at 22, I would have completely messed it up. I was not looking for a life long commitment at 22. I was fresh out of college, looking for a job and hanging out with my friends. I was not open to a soul mate then. My thoughts and beliefs begin to change and mature around the age of 30. I had been told that this would happen. A light bulb came on.



I decided that I wanted to love someone, truly love them with everything in me. And, I wanted a man who would/could love me in the same way. I had never experienced that before. I had never wanted to. I prayed about it and then I went on with my life. There is a great quote that speaks to this point in my life. It is "...when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." ("The Alchemist" Paulo Coelho) If you are lucky, you will find your soul mate at the perfect time. I was realistic in my wants, in my prayers. I was not a little girl wishing for a Prince Charming. The idea of him never did anything for me. If you're lucky, you will get your soul mate for life. It's what life is made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment