Thursday, December 13, 2012

Simply The Best


It's almost the end of the year. I decided that now would be a great time to talk about my favorite songs of the year. There have been a lot of them. Hey, I cannot help it. I LOVE music. So, I had to do more than one list. Singles are all great and dandy. But, more times than not, the single isn't the best song. And, I also had to talk about my favorite mixtape cuts. So, there are three lists below. Get into them.

Singles

12 - Mylah "Ever"
11 - Fun. featuring Janelle Monae "We Are Young"
10 - Chris Brown "Don't Judge Me"
09 - Frank Ocean "Thinking Bout You"
08 - Meek Mill featuring Drake "Amen"
07 - Lianne La Havas "Empty (In Paris)"
06 - Tamia "Beautiful Surprise"
05 - Elle Varner "Refill"
04 - Ne-yo "Lazy Love"
03 - Adele "Rolling In The Deep"
02 - G.O.O.D Music featuring Jay-Z "Clique"
01 - Miguel "Adorn"

Albums

12 - Monica "New Life"
11 - Frank Ocean "channel Orange"
10 - Bruno Mars "Unorthodox Jukebox"
09 - Lianne La Havas Is Your Love Big Enough?
08 - Soundtrack "The Music of Smash"
07 - Elle Varner "Perfectly Imperfect"
06 - Ne-Yo "R.E.D."
05 - G.O.O.D. Music "Cruel Summer"
04 - Brandy "Two Eleven"
03 - Rihanna "Unapologetic"
02 - Adele "21"
01 - Miguel "Kaleidoscope Dream"

As usual, the best song isn't always the singles. I usually find great gems hidden on the album. That was the case this year as well. I fell in love with a bunch of songs that will properly never get the single treatment. I actually happen to love that though. It ensures that I won't get tired of them because of the radio overplaying them. So, here are my favorite 12 of the year. I had a hard time narrowing this list down. Here are the winners:

Hidden Gems

12 - Brandy "What You Need"
11 - Frank Ocean featuring Andre 3000 "Pink Matter"
10 - Monica "Daddy's Good Girl"
09 - Keyshia Cole "Hey Sexy"
08 - Nicki Minaj featuring Ciara "I'm Legit"
07 - Elle Varner "Soundproof Room"
06 - SWV "Show Off"
05 - Kendrick Lamar featuring Drake "Poetic Justice"
04 - Miguel "How Many Drinks"
03 - Rihanna "Pour It Up"
02 - G.O.O.D. Music "The One"
01 - Ne-yo featuring RaVaughn & Young Jeezy "All She Wants"


Mixtape Hits

12 - Iggy Azalea "Me, Myself, My Money" (Glory)
11 - Fabolous "For The Love" (Soul Tape 2)
10 - RaVaughn "Me and You (Love Thang)" (Love Always, The Introduction)
09 - Joe Budden "So Good" (A Loose Quarter)
08 - Emanny featuring Joe Budden "I Messed Up" (Songs About Her)
07 - Meek Mill featuring Jordanne "Use To Be" (Dreamchasers 2)
06 - Elle Varner "WTF" (Conversational Lush)
05 - Slaughterhouse "Truth or Truth" (On The House)
04 - Raheem DeVaughn "Ask yourself" (Heemy Taught Me 2)
03 - Daley featuring Marsha Ambrosius "Alone Together" (Those Who Wait)
02 - Fabolous featuring Joe Budden & Teyana Taylor "Want You Back" (Soul Tape 2)
01 - Joe Budden featuring Emanny "More of Ma (A Loose Quarter)

And, with the best, there must be a worst. These are the people I would rather never hear from again.

No Mas

12 - Carly Rae Jepsen
11 - Alicia Keys* & this "Girl On Fire" era
10 - Lil Wayne*
09 - Ciara*
08 - A$AP Rocky (I also hate that he refuses to use an S in his name)
07 - Lil Mouse
06 - Azealia Banks
05 - Taylor Swift
04 - Lil B
03 - Chief Keef
02 - Trinidad James
01 - Future

No comments:

Post a Comment