Friday, May 04, 2012

"You Female!"

There is a discussion that has been taking place online for some time now. It is about the word "Female" and how degrading it is. Really? The Republicans are waging war against women's equality, fair pay and reproductive rights. And, this is what people want to harp on? Come on women, we have bigger, better fights to conquer. A "female" is defined as "a person bearing two x chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus, and ovaries," or "An organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells." (dictionary.com) I'm confused. Does that definition not define who women are? I know that it defines me as a woman. So how did a simple term become so degrading?

I find the discussion utterly ridiculous. As women, don't we have other things to discuss? I cannot even muster up a *excuse my language* fcuk to give about it. Being called a bitch is degrading. Being called a nigger is degrading. Being called a female, which I am, is not. I am not hurt by that word. There are no negative connatations associated with this word. And, the ones I have seen seem to be particularly to the writer. Women are we that starved for drama that we have to make it up now? And, what's even more bizarre is the fact that its Black women who are having the biggest problem with the word. In 2012, Black women have so many other things to worry about. A word shouldn't be one of them. It just makes no sense.

Let me be clear, I am many things. Female and woman are always at the head of that list. They are who I am biologically. Why would that be degrading or offensive to me? It isn't nor could it truly be. I think people are up in arms behind the wrong thing. A woman is a female as is a female is a woman. They are one in the same. It's not a fight that needs to be fought. Those who are doing so should quickly have a seat. I find myself laughing as I type this. Because it is comical to say the least. We, as women, as females, need to focus our energies on other plights. If we stop paying attention to the world, the Republicans will have taken away all of our rights. Pay attemtion to what's really real, females!

No comments:

Post a Comment