Thursday, May 24, 2012

Adventures in Cooking: A Twist on Wings


I love wings. i usually order them. I hardly ever cook them myself. But, I got the urge to have wings with a twist last week. So, I set out to do just that. I didn't want baked wings with sauce. I was craving fried wings tossed with barbecue sauce. This is the specialty of a spot here called "WOW Wings." I did not know their recipe but I thought that it was simple enough for me to replicate.

I started with my eggwash concoction. I used an egg, some milk and seasoning in a bowl. I mixed it all up. I wanted my wings to have a crunchy taste golden skin. I knew it would have been better with buttermilk. But, I just used ingredients I had available. After cleaning the wings, I totally covered them in the eggwash. Then, I dropped then in my flour. Once I made sure they were completely covered in flour, into the hot grease they went. Wings do not take long to cook. I watched them fry up so perfectly and evenly golden. After removing them from the grease, I let them cool.

I combined two different barbecue sauces; Spicy Honey and sweet & Spicy Chipotle. I also added a little mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, vanilla, and hot sauce. I then dipped the wings, one by one, into the sauce. I made sure that they were all completely covered. And, I was done. I also cooked steamed broccoli and mac & cheese as my sides. The only thing left to do was eat. And, it was delicious. So much so, that I cooked it again later in that same week. Simple dish but it made my taste buds very happy. The domesticated diva was definitely happy. Hope you guys try it out!

Here's my recipe:

- 1 pack of wings (8)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Season all/Tony Chachere's
- A pinch of black pepper
- Flour
- Bbq sauce (I used a combination of spicy honey/sweet&spicy chipotle & added mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, vanilla & hot sauce to it)


Directions:

- Heat oil in pan or deep fryer (I used a deep fryer).
- Mix egg, milk, season all, & pepper in a bowl.
- Dip wings in bowl.
- Coat wings totally.
- Flour wings.
- Fry wings.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Then dip fried wings into Bbq sauce until totally coated.
- Serve, eat, & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment