Friday, May 11, 2012

Marriage Equality



On Wednesday, May 9th, President Barack Obama set a precedent. He announced that he believed in marriage equality. He said that he believed that "same sex couples should have the right to get married." This was a huge political move. Some may even call it risky. I think it was a calculated risk. It is a hot button topic right now. I do no think the President could afford to stay silent much longer. The question has been asked. He finally gave an answer, his answer. I respect him for that. His answer brought on a storm. Everyone had something to say. Right wing, left wing, everyone. Some had not so nice things to say. But, we all have opinions and we're entitled to them. I have no issue with the President taking a firm stand. It makes him a better President to me.

There are things that I believe that the government should have no part in. Marriage happens to be one of them. There are many things that I do not get or understand. But, what I do get and understand is LOVE. And, I think that any two people, who are of legal age, should be allowed to married. Their race or sex should not play a part in determining who gets to marry. Let's be clear here, the state of marriage in the United States is failing. 50% of all first marriages end in divorce. So, I refuse to believe that allowing same sex marriages would somehow disrupt the sanctity of marriage. North Carolina passed a law that deems same sex marriage illegal. This s the same state where John Edwards is on trial for misusing funds with his mistress. The same mistress he had while running for President and while his wife was dealing with cancer. That sounds like a disruption to a marriage. Oh and he had a baby, which he denied, with said mistress.

Let me get this right. A gay couple who have been together for years and are clearly in love cannot get married. But Kim Kardashian is allowed to be married for 72 damn days? Where is the sanctity of that marriage? OR the fact that Newt Gingrich has been married 4 times? I think people have things messed up. What I find most disturbing about this is the opinion of Christians. On Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, I have read the most hateful things from so called Christians. I do not call myself a perfect Christians. But, I know enough about the Bible and God's word to know that judging anyone is no bueno. "Judge not lest ye be judged." (Matt. 7:1) But, I guess they all forgot about that particular scripture.

I know that some of this announcement comes from playing the political game. I'm a politics girl, I get that. But, I also believe that President Obama would not have taken a stand if this was not what he believed in. He decided that what was going on was unfair. I agree with him. I have been reading that people believe that this will cost him in the election. I believe that no matter what fundamental or situational issue I disagree with the President on, none of them will ever be solved by voting for a Republican especially Mitt Romney. Romney does not have my best interest at heart. Yes, I like President Obama. No, I do not believe that he is a saint or savior. He is just a man with a great political plan. It's a bonus that he is a Black man with a Black family. His family mirrors my own. I identify with him.

Whether or not this will harm or help the President, will not be proven until November. I don't think it will. He still has my vote. That hasn't changed. I have a feeling that it won't sway that many people. And, if it does, then they could not have been Democrats in the first place. I refuse to ever vote Republican unless their rhetoric changes drastically. Which I doubt will ever happen. Same sex marriages aren't an issue for me. The people who want to bring the Bible in this need to realize that one can only stand up for their lives on judgement day. I commend Barack Obama for his words and his choice. It makes me proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment