Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Get Into It: "Reed Between The Lines"



I miss the old Thursday night tv lineup. I'm talking about "The Cosby Show," "A Different World," "New York Undercover," "Martin," and "Living Single." Quality television programming featuring Black people. As a kid, I was enthralled with "The Cosby Show." People who looked like me that excelled at academics, marriage and family was amazing to me. I could not get enough of it. At different points in my life, the above mentioned shows have had a profound affect on my life. Somewhere along the line, people who looked like me weren't showing up on TV. Tonight, BET gave me some of that back. "Reed Between The Lines" premiered tonight. I am instantly a fan.



"Reed Between The Lines" is a new sitcom about a blended family. Tracee Ellis Ross plays Dr. Carla Reed. She is a psychiatrist. She is married to Dr. Alex Reed played by Malcolm Jamal Warner, an NYU English Professor. He teaches online and also homeschools their youngest daughter Alexis. Carla has a set of 14 year old twins, Keenan and Kaci from her first marriage. This show is clearly a modern take on "The Cosby Show."

I loved the first two episodes. The kids are cute and hilarious. Tracee and Malcolm are great. I am glad that when I see them that I don't see Joan Clayton from "Girlfriends" and Theo Huxtable. Carla's wardrobe is top notch. But I knew that nefore even seeing a scene. Tracee has impeccable taste in fashion. It shows in her character. There is a cuteness with this show that I really dig. Seeing a positive portrayal of Black families on television is a wonderful thing. Its something that I didn't have growing up. But from as far back as I could remember its what I've aspired to have. This new tv family has the potential to be great.



"Reed Between The Line" is a funny, greatly written show. I laughed a lot through the whole hour. BET did something right. Their original programming is just about the only bright light on the channel. Maybe this means the powers that be are finally listening to their core audience. I applaud Tracee and Malcolm for being producers as well. They are handling all anglea on this project. I will be watching for the rest of the season. You guys should as well.

4 comments:

  1. It was hard for me not to get bored, which was upsetting because I was really looking forward to the premiere of the show. Maybe I should watch again though. And I agree, Tracee's clothes were on point! Malcolm has aged WONDERFULLY! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bored? Really? I was intrigued from the start. I love the interaction within the family. It was greatly casted and acted. I will def be watching. Tracee's style is impeccable. She is a fashion diva to me. Her shoe game is ridiculous. I Love her and Malcolm together though. Give it another chance though, Blk Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to watch. I've been fasting from TV just because it's been so lame and kept me from being productive and thoughtful (too much bad girls club and bball wives). HOWEVER, I'm now going to tune in and check this show out! I'll comment back after watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, this show is a far cry from the reality shows. I love it. Scripted tv is a dying art and seeing any kind of real Black love is on life support. We have to support it or it will go away.

    ReplyDelete