Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Classic Music: Usher "Confessions"

There aren't too many albums that I would refer to as "classics." That is a very small and dignified group. Usher's "Confessions" is definitely in that group. The cd is certified Diamond. It has sold 20 million copies. That is a rare feat. There hasn't been a Diamond album since this one. From his infectious first single "Yeah" featuring Ludacris and Lil Jon debuted, it was clear that Usher's cd would be a hit. "Confessions" sold 1.1 million copies in a week. This was a new record as well. I was a fan from the first listen. I loved every song more than the one prior. I was sold.

"Confessions" was full of club hits and ballads. It was the perfect balance. I never skipped a song. I would let it play from beginning to end. I loved it. And, 7 years later, it still holds up. I love the songs today as I did then. I had high expectations of the cd based on the first single and all the hype surrounding its release. I had never been disappointed in an Usher cd so I was very excited. When I finally got my hands on this cd, I was esctatic. Usher delivered in spades. I was sold. I played it nonstop for weeks on end. It was released in March and I played it until the concert in August daily. My neighbors knew the entire cd thanks to me. I converted some people into Usher fans after "Confessions." It still makes me happy.

One of the best concerts that I have ever attended (and I've been to more than I can count) was Usher's "Confessions" Tour which also featured a newcomer Kanye West. The guy danced, sang, and performed his heart out for over 2 hours. We never sat down. He did almost every song off of his new cd as well as past hits. I had been a fan of his since he released "Just Call Me A Mack" back in the day. I was super impressed with his skills on stage. Usher was it for me that night. We listened to "Confessions" all the way to the Arena and all the way home. We could not get enough. That, to me, defines a classic cd. Universally, everyone seemed to love it. The tour sold out like crazy everywhere as did the cd.

I was reminded of the cd yesterday. So I wanted to share a few of my favorite non-single cuts from this cd. If I didn't make that distinction, I would post every song lol. I can't help it. I just really enjoy great music. This cd exemplifies that to me. I am sure 10, 20 years from now, I will still feel the same. I hope you guys enjoy the youtubes as well. Usher's "Confessions" is a classic in my eyes. I wonder if any of you feel the same. Let's discuss it!












No comments:

Post a Comment