Sunday, January 08, 2012

Karma: Is It Real?



Karma is defined as "fate as the result of one's actions in successive incarnations." To me, I've always taken that as you get what you put out into the universe back. If you do good, good will be done to you. As well as, if you do bad, bad will come back to you tenfold. I also believe that when one does good deeds, it has to be done from the heart. You can't do good with the intent of what you will get from it. That's not how karma works to me.

I find it funny that some people really don't believe in karma. They do not believe that their actions have consequences. They live their lives with no remorse. I cannot live like that. I'm too conscious of things, of life. Yes, I know we all have free will. But, every action has a subsequent reaction. Everything we put out into the universe has a way of coming back around. It's almost like a boomerang. It's just that simple. What we do matters, even when we think they don't. Good karma is what we all should strive for. I know that may be harder to accomplish than just saying it.

I often wonder about people who I know are doing all kinds of wrong and bad things. But they always seem to be on the receiving end of something great. It makes me question karma sometimes. Why does it seem that bad people are always rewarded and good people seem to struggle? I know enough to know that everything is not what it seems. I can't worry about another's karma. All I can do is continue to be me. Doing good because it's in my heart. My karma is my own. I'm in control of it. What's your definition of karma? Let's discuss.


3 comments:

  1. "I often wonder about people who I know are doing all kinds of wrong and bad things. But they always seem to be on the receiving end of something great. It makes me question karma sometimes." It's the old 'what goes around comes around.' I used to subscribe to something like karma but after a sermon a few weeks ago I no longer do... // Bad things happen to people who do good all the time and vice versa but what I have learned and am learning is that (karma) is not how God operates. The seasons in our life are rather strategically planned to come about to prep us, teach us, and guide us [to and for Him]. This may explain why we see a lot of people who don't appear to do good, appear to be prosperous and we just don't understand why. And why we see a lot of people suffering and again, just cannot explain why. I think about Jesus (His life from birth to death - born in poverty and crucified) and try to apply "karma" and there are no parallels to be drawn because He was perfect on Earth. When we look at what he went through and why (i.e. His purpose) - only then does it make sense that karma was not a factor. I believe the same goes for us. // I am new to studying the Bible and scripture so my explanation may be lacking. Here is 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 instead: or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenda, you have done it again. I appreciate you more than I can express. I just may write a post about this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading the Bible but haven't gotten to either Corinthians yet. That makes sense. I have to read up on it. If you do a post, I'd def read it. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete