Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Blackout Wednesday January 18th

This blog is being posted a little earlier than normal. Tomorrow there is a web wide blackout in compliance of being against the SOPA act. So, tomorrow, I and others will not be posting anything on the web in support. The SOPA and PIPA acts are threatening to forever change the way in which we use the internet. The Senate's Senate version of the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is called the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). SOPA has gotten more attention than PIPA because it was moving faster in the legislative process. But both are dangerous. "PIPA would give the government new powers to block Americans' access websites that corporations don't like. The bill lets corporations and the US government censor entire websites and cut sites off from advertising, payments and donations. This legislation will stifle free speech and innovation, and even threaten popular web services like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. The bill is scheduled for a test vote in the Senate on Jan. 24th: We need to act now to let our lawmakers know just how terrible it is." (via this website

The above mentioned site has all the information you will need to be all caught up. Wednesday, January 18th is the blackout date. I do not want the government censoring my web surfing ways. I want to be able to post what I want when I want. I want to listen to music on youtube, view pictures on Flickr, and blog my heart away on blogger. I like my freedom. I'm sure you like yours as well. People, read up on this act and get informed. We should all be aware of what bills are being passed through the House and possibly the SEnate. This bill needs to be dead in the water. If you go to the site above (on Thursday) you can send your Congressman/Senate rep an email expressing your distaste. This is moving fastly. We need to get involved and be heard. Stop SOPA and PIPA!!! I'll be back posting on Thursday. Enjoy the blackout!

No comments:

Post a Comment