Friday, January 27, 2012

Anonymity Breeds Cowardism?!?


Anonymity is a funny thing. Especially as it relates to online. The cloak of anonymity gives people the courage to post the most reckless things. This is very evident on blog sites and message boards. People spew so to the most hateful rhetoric under the umbrella of anonymity. They have no real regard of the consequences of their words. As a writer, I know the actual power of words. I think folks should pay more attention to what they write.

In general, I'm very opinionated. I have been a member of a few message boards. I frequent one or two blogs. I do not comment as much as I used to. I've never been cruel or mean in my posting. I'm always conscious of that. Now, as a consumer of music, I will give it to you straight. If I've spent my money to support an artist and the product is wack, I'm going to discuss it. I feel in those situations that I've wasted my money. I don't, however, post things anonymously. I have never hid behind the grey face. People who do are lame and weak. I say this because they would probably never speak those hateful words to the persons face.

I do not eat my words. If I said it once, I can damn sure say it twice. I've had this blog for a year and a half. My comments have never been frequented by an anonymous hate mongers. Until the other day. Quite honestly, the derogatory statement ticked me off. Then I got to thinking about how sad a person has to be to sift through 6 months of posts to find one random post. And post a hateful comment. I deleted it and laughed. So I'm thankful for the lesson. All people aren't good or right or nice and that's fine. I cannot get all caught up in one persons erroneous lackluster opinion. I'm still gonna post on my blog whatever I see fit. It's mine. To each his own. But I can't respect you if you won't even show your face. The cloak of anonymity is a cowards paradise. My Mom didn't raise a coward or a fool. I stand behind everything I say. That is more than enough reason for me to continue to be proud of me.

"All I have is my balls and my word and I don't break them for nobody." - Tony Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment