Monday, January 16, 2012

Great Season, Saints!!

As a little girl, I was not interested in sports. They did nothing for me. I thought football and basketball were boy sports and that they were kind of dirty. I did not get into either sport until I entered high school. I remember that both of my grandfathers and my Mom were HUGE Saints fans. I'm talking about back in the 80's and 90's when people wore paper bags over their heads at the games. They were diehard, to the bone Saints fans. I would always say "All they do is lose, why do y'all watch them?" They didn't care. They supported their team. The Saints are my hometown team. Black and Gold and the Fleur de lis are embedded in my brain. These symbols are synonymous with the Saints.

I can honestly say that I did not believe until the 2006 season. This was our redemption season following the devastation of Katrina. The team's record in 05 was a lowly 3-13. Drew Brees was signed and Coach Payton was new. Reggie Bush was drafted. Things were looking up. The Saints ended the season at 10-6! A huge turn around from the previous season. Things have steadily improved since then. And in 2009, the Saints won their first Superbowl. I have never felt prouder to be a Saints fan and a New Orleanian. This team has brought so much happiness to a city that Bush and his administration had written off. The city that the world forgot fought back. The games sold out, the fans screamed louder, we all felt pride in our team.

We ended this season at 13-3. On the road to Superbowl 2012, the team faced the Lions a week ago. They won to advance on. Last Saturday, the Saints faced the 49ers. This was a nail biter, end of the couch, second away from a heart attack game. The Saints fought hard to come back in the first half from a 17-0 deficit. By halftime, the score was 17-14. We were back in it. The second half was even more amazing than the first. With 1:37 left on the clock, the Saints were up by 3. The 49ers had possession of the ball. And in one heartbreaking catch, the 49ers ended my Saints run. The final score was 36-32. I am so proud of them Black and Gold Boys though. This season was amazing to watch. The last game was as well.

So, the football fan in me is disappointed that the Saints aren't still in it any more. But, I will keep watching so I can watch the 49ers fall before making it to the Superbowl. I'm thinking that the Superbowl will be interesting. I'm still looking forward to next season in the NFL. I will always be a Saints fan for everything that the team brings to my city. I went to my first game this season. I loved every second of it. I can't wait to experience that again. So to Brees, Colston, Graham, Sproles, Ivory, Moore, Thomas, Coach Payton and the entire Saints team, I say thank you for a great season. Bless you Boys!! And no matter what I'm still yelling "GEAUX SAINTS!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment