Wednesday, November 23, 2011

You Only Get One Time To Make A First Impression


First impressions are very important. It's the first few moments when ideas are formed, when people are sizing each other up. Those "get to know you" conversation can be grueling. You are basically presenting your case on yourself in hopes that he/she/they like and accept you. It's a very interesting dance we do when we meet people. Some first impressions are more important than others. Those usually turn into lifelong friendships and/or the happily ever after kinds.

I've never had a probably making a great first impression. I'm usually the person that people always strike up random conversation with. Even when I don't want to be, I'm a people person. I think, upon first meeting me, I would be referred to as quiet. That's on purpose. I want to know as much about the person as they want to know about me. I take the time to actually listen to what they are saying and all the things they aren't saying physically. I have no issue talking about myself. I just think its important to pay attention as well.

People generally like me. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't people who dislike me. I just don't harp on that because 9 time out of ten the feeling's mutual. I do remember someone's mom just instantly disliked me. The sad thing is she never really knew me. I also took great pleasure in proving her thoughts of me to be totally wrong. It's even funnier now, years later, to see her to out of her way to speak to me and be nice to me. It's like she thinks I will forget how horrible she was to me as a 15 year old. I haven't nor will I. It helped me develop tougher skin. I can't be mad at her or that. Have you ever had a bad first impression? Any horror stories? Share with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment