Thursday, March 07, 2013

Trayvon Martin Case Update

The attorneys for George Zimmerman have done something very weird. They have waived their rights to the :Stand Your Ground" trial that was set for next month. This is weird because a favorable ruling in that case would have thrown out the possibility of the murder trial in June. The SYG trial would have been decided by the sitting judge. There would have been no jury. As someone who has always been interested in and a follower of the law, I am very perplexed by this latest move. It seems out of place. And, very risky honestly. Now, Zimmerman will be taking his chances with a jury trial in June. Without SYG to stand on, I wonder what his defense will be. I do not know of anything that he can claim in a case like this. Because if not for his racial profiling and relentless pursuit of 17 year old Trayvon Martin, there would be no murder nor no trial. 

Martin's 18th birthday was last month. It's been a little over a year since he was murdered. It is still unbelievable to me. Well, not really because Black men are systematically killed by other Black men as well as other people. Black men are hunted, racially profiled and incarcerated art a higher rate than others. This is a reality in America. It makes me sad for my nephews/brothers/cousins/friends. It also pisses me off that this is the world we live in. Trayvon Martin was not given a chance that fateful February night. Zimmerman is guilty. I do not care to hear what his lawyers have to say. The evidence is clear. He killed a child for no other reason than he was a Black man. That is not a reason for a life to be taken. If Zimmerman is not found guilty, I will truly have lost faith in our judicial system. This is an open and shut case. I just wanted to give everyone an update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment