Sunday, March 03, 2013

It's My Hair: Simplifying My Routine



 I've read too many blog posts and magazine articles about natural hair. Some women use a ridiculous amount of products in their hair. And, that may be fine for them. I have learned that less is more for my hair. I don't need a lot of products coexisting in my hair. It makes it to heavy and unmanageable. I like simple and easy. My hair regimen has gotten considerably smaller. There has been a lot of trial and error. I have used things that didn't work. And, found products that I love and still use. I did not become a product junkie like most naturalistas I know. That makes me happy. And, it keeps my money in my pocket. That is always a great thing. The above picture is me last weekend. I am 17 months post relaxer. This is one of my go to styles. IT's my version of a braid out/twist out. It lasts for about 5 days. I love it. 




I have gotten my routine down to the bare minimums. I co-wash with Suave Humectant Conditioner for Dry Hair. I love the thickness of the conditioner as well as the coverage it gives me. The smell is awesome. And, the price is easy on the pockets. I just purchased 2 28oz bottles for $5.00 @ Target. That's a hell of a deal in my book. I follow that with Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner. For the size, it can be a bit pricey but it's worth it. I use Cantu's Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream. I have blogged about my love of this product before. It's still a staple for me. Kera Care's Essential Oils is another daily product for me. The oils give me shine and moisture. 




I also have started to use a mixture of butters and oils as a daily moisturizer. I made it myself which makes me love it even more. I combined a bunch of butters (shea, coca, kokum, almond, mango, avocado) with a few essential oils (coconut, sweet almond, and grapeseed) into a mix. I love the way it smells and feels on my hair. It is helping my hair grow. The only other products I use are my spray bottle filled with water and glycerin. My hair thanks me. It is healthy and strong and natural. I still hate how long it takes me to air dry my hair. But, I have no other complaints. My natural hair journey is becoming easier. I'm still excited about it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment