Saturday, March 16, 2013

Just Because I Felt Like It: Little Black Girls, Big Names

Poetry will always have a special place in my heart and life. I fell in love with spoken word during high school. I loved performing while in college. I can honestly say that I've fell out of love with the spoken word movement in recent years. Everyone speaks the same, talks about the same topics. It's become very gimmicky and I was not here for it. But, like everything else I love, it's become relevant again to me. I've found myself very intrigued by the Slam poetry competitions featuring young adults. This was posted in one of my Facebook groups. It touched a place deep within me. This little Black girl at heart has been smiling since I watched this. Get into this piece. It's entitled "To All The Little Black Girls With Big Names" by Sha'Condria, a fellow New Orleans native. Oh and I love the backdrop of her video. My city looking fabulous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment