There are many things I do not understand about Republicans. Plenty. But, what I cannot get is how any woman, Democrat or Republican, could vote against the Violence Against Women Act. This act covers The White House issued an official pdf of what VAWA is. It is very detailed. Quite simply, it protects women. End of discussion. So as a woman, how could you vote against it? There has to be a special place in hell for the women who did not stand up for this particular act to be made into law. I don't even have the energy to go in on this subject. And, I truly don't have to. Thankfully, it was passed and President Obama signed it into law. Below are the main points of the new law. Happy that it exists.
The Violence Against Women laws provide programs and services, including:
- Federal rape shield law.
- Community violence prevention programs.
- Protections for victims who are evicted from their homes because of events related to domestic violence or stalking.
- Funding for victim assistance services, like rape crisis centers and hotlines.
- Programs to meet the needs of immigrant women & women of different races or ethnicities.
- Programs and services for victims with disabilities.
- Legal aid for survivors of domestic violence.