Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rant: Pay The Refs!!!


I am a sports chick. I love my basketball and my football. After the long lockout of the NBA last season, I was looking forward to a drama free NFL season. Commissioner Goodell decided that I would not have that. First, there was the New Orleans Saints "Bounty-gate." Then came the fallout form that. My home team lost its coach and one great player for the entire season. Next, the Saints owner Tom Benson held out all summer messing with Drew Brees' contract. And, finally, there is this referee situation. The refs are basically on strike. We are left with a bunch of "replacement refs" who clearly do not know what the hell they are doing. The bogus calls that I've seen in the last 3 weeks have been appalling.


But, nothing takes the cake more than the final call during Monday Night Football game between the Packers and the Seahawks. Anyone watching that game could tell that Green Bay had possession of the ball all the way to the ground. Even the replacement refs are confused. One ref ruled that it wasn't a touchdown, another ref ruled it a touchdown for the Seahawks. How can two refs standing nearly side by side see two totally different things and still come to a conclusive decision. I am still shocked. I do not know what the refs were looking at but surely it was not what I and everyone saw. That one call set Twitter ablaze. No one thought it was a touchdown. No one. These refs are messing with the integrity of the sport. Even worse, that call cost the Packers the game. The NFL upheld the ruling which further lets me know that Goodell is an idiot. How can he not be? If this is what the rest of the season will hold, I am out. I am not here for officials messing up the game. Pay the real refs so we can get back to playing the game already.


ETA:

2 comments: