Sunday, February 05, 2012

We Talking Bout Practice?!?

Before I get deep into my topic, let me just say that I am a Drake fan. Have been since his second mixtape. But, I do not give him a pass for touching a classic. For turning a straight bounce track to some emo track. Yes, Juvenile's "Back Dat Ass Up" is a 504 classic. The intro alone conjures up a multitude of memories. My girls and I used to lose our minds to this track nightly.



Drake dropped the video for "Practice." Let's actually ignore the actual song. I mean the only part of the song I really dig is "all my 504 girls need to drop it right now" because I am a 504 girl always ;-) The big discussion on Twitter has been about the video. It's very simple and low budget. The video chick is "dancing" in the mirror and on cam. I witnessed guys on Twitter, with the exception of one, going crazy about the girl in the video. Or, better yet, the girls ass. I'm not blind so I see that the video chick has a big ass. Honestly, I did not see anything spectacular in the video. I wasn't impressed with the dancing. I've done better (especially to Juvie's track) and seen better. I will say the video was realistic because what woman hasn't danced in the mirror. It's what we do.



I just don't get the hype over the girl...other than her assets. Clearly, men and women see things differently. The reality is music videos are for men. They all follow the same formula. Nice crib, flashy car, bottles of Ace, video girls who are amply stacked and the rapper de jour. I hardly ever watch them any more. But, the twitter talk was too insane for me to resist. What do you guys think of Drake's video?

3 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me that is someone's actual music video? I thought that was one of those WSHH chicks just dancing in her crib to a drapes song I didn't know that was the actual for real...sigh I can't with music today nor the people making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could have paid me to do that and I wouldn't even have to leave my room! (or clean it up for that matter) I'm SO disappointed. I'm not even really a Drake fan but I expected more from him. You are absolutely right, videos are mainly aimed towards men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ MS. J - Yes this is an actual video. I'm in disbelief too. It's very low budget. Smh

    @ BB - I don't know who came up with this treatment. It's a mess. But what did I expect, the song isn't much better though

    ReplyDelete