Monday, February 27, 2012

College is for Snobs?!? Oh really Santorum?

Republicans are stupid or they think we are. It's clearly that simple. I don't know how many of you are actually paying attention to what is going on right now. But you should. The Republican debates have been so utterly bizarre. From their overall stance on healthcare, war to gas prices and birth control. They are all over the spectrum in their beliefs. None of them have been able to land squarely on anything that lines up with me. I don't think I could ever vote for a Republican because our core beliefs, morals and values are polar opposites. This was made clearer by Rick Santorum during Saturday's debate when he said the following: “Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image. I want to create jobs so people can remake their children into their image, not his.”

Really Ricky? I wonder if this statement made sense in his head before he spewed such a ridiculous sentence. I know it sounds like crap to me. So, now college is for snobs? Is that right? I have an issue with someone who wants to be President and doesn't think that higher education should be a viable option for all Americans. Why wouldn't it be? Why would one want to limit what a person can achieve? It's been proven in case study after case study that people need more than a high school diploma to make it in this world. Higher education is the way to go to achieve it. This is just common sense. Why would I listen to a man with three degrees tell me that a college education isn't important? That makes no sense.

Furthermore, this statement sounds beyond ridiculous coming from Santorum. This man holds not one, not two, but three degrees. And, in comparison, President Obama only has two. Seems sort of hypocritical right? I think Santorum is jealous of President Obama for a few reasons. The most obvious one being that President Obama has the job Santorum wants. But more than that, Obama has 2 degrees from far more superior and widely revered schools than Santorum. President Obama has degrees from Columbia and Harvard, two of the most prestigious universities in the U.S. That's just my take on it. Santorum said "President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob.” Education makes you a snob? Well, in the wise words of Redman, "I'll bee dat!" If it makes me a snob, I will gladly be a part of that group. Santorum is slyly trying to paint Obama as an elitist. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

How selfish is it to tell people well we all can't smart enough to obtain a college degree? That is exactly what Santorum is saying. This sort of thinking can only end badly. Santorum idea would lead to a wider gap between the haves and the have nots. In my mind, this would make a smaller richer class and a poorer more populated low class or poverty class. There would essentially be no middle class anymore. People move from class to class by way of education, employment and hard work. If we cut out education, how far up could one elevate to? The rich would continue to get richer off of the backs of the poor. Santorum supports this. And, for that, no one (especially the working class) should support him. If I was a voting Republican, I would be worried. There does not seem to be one viable leader in the race. As a voting Democrat, I'm getting even more excited about a second term for Obama. He is still the same change I want to see in the White House.


1 comment:

  1. You hit this one on the head girl. Right on! Some are so afraid of education and exposure falling into the "wrong" hands...

    ReplyDelete