Friday, June 08, 2012

RIP to Print



The world is changing at an alarming rate. We are becoming a more digital community by the second. In many ways, this is awesome. Everything is at our fingertips. But, on the flip side of that, it leaves newspapers and magazines on the decline.That makes this writer really sad. Magazines and newspapers are folding left and right. My own home town newspaper, The Times Picayune, just announced that they will be cutting back their production to 3 days a week. That means writers will be laid off. It means TP will be doing more with less. That is sad.

I don't know about you but I love reading the newspaper. I love the way the paper feels in my hand. I love the smell of the ink on the paper. I think it goes back to when I was the newspaper editor in high school. Newspaper are so authentic. I truly makes me said that things like this are going on all over the country. I think in our race to get to the next big thing in technology that we are totally forgetting about the little guys, the pioneers. Getting my news online is fine but it just doesn't feel the same. It isn't the way I'm used to getting my local news. I know that life is all about change. Some times I am just slow to adapt to it. It will be strange not being able to get a newspaper every day. Sundays will still be fine though. Oh well, it's the end of an era. Adapting will happen for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment