Saturday, June 23, 2012

Oh, How I Love New Shows!

When it comes to summer television programming, it used to be nothing but reruns. But, times have changed drastically. Now, most channels offer specific new summer programming. I have a few faves like USA's "Royal Pains" and CBS' "Big Brother." This summer brings a few new shows that I can't wait to watch. Let's discuss.



USA is known for their summer programming. This summer is no different. The new anti-buddy cop show is called "Common Law." My initial interest in the show was based solely on the eye candy that is Michael Ealy. I have been a fan of his since "Barber Shop." I tuned in just to see that face and that smile. Turns out, the show is pretty dope. It's a lighthearted turn on the tried and true cop show formula. It is like the polar opposite of one of my all time favorite shows "Law & Order SVU." Ealy plays Travis Marks, a former foster kid turned playboy Detective. His partner, Detective Wes Mitchell, is a lawyer turned very straight laced, recently divorced detective. The two are in couples counseling because their constant fighting is causing trouble at work. Of course, comedy ensues. The show is very cute. It airs at 9pm on Fridays.



TVLand is jumping into the fray with a new show. "The Soul Man" stars Cedric the Entertainer as Reverend Boyce Ballentine, a soul singer turned preacher who uproots his entire life and family to take over his Father's church. His wife, Lolli, is played by Niecey Nash, his daughter Lyric played by Jazz Raycole are not adjusting well to the new changes in their life. Boyce's life is rounded out with his Father and lazy brother as well as the members of his church. It premiered on Wednesday, June 20th @ 9pm. The series premiere was funny, insightful and music. I think it's a really cute show. I will continue to watch. And, I love seeing functional Black families displayed in a positive light on television. The show airs @ 9pm on Wednesdays.



Next on my list is the ABC Family comedy "Baby Daddy." I have to say that I wanted to see this show for Tahj Mowry. I've liked him since his "Full House" and "Smart Guy" days. This show is essentially the tv modern version of the hit movie "Three Men & a Baby." That may be the appeal for me since I loved both of those movies. It's always funny to see people's funny antics when it comes to babies. And, of course, none of the 4 main characters have any real experience with babies. The twins who portray baby Emma are adorable. Adorable kids will always draw me in. This show is cute and I will be watching. It airs on Wednesdays @ 7pm.

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with summer shows. They are great but they take forever to return. On the nights when it's too hot to be out and about, mindless tv makes any night better. I can only watch reruns of shows I really love. There aren't many on that list. So, I'm always on the lookout for something new to indulge in. What are your favorite summer shows? Are you watching either of the two above? Tell me your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment