Monday, April 09, 2012

Spreading Knowledge


When I was 15,my Uncle Larry gave me some advice that I've carried with me. He said "when it comes to relationships, you always want to be able to learn something new from your significant other as well as teach them something as well." Those words have always impacted me. I've found myself, more times than not, being a teacher but not a student. It's easy for me to give the knowledge I hold freely away. It's just part of who I am.

I love to learn about everything. I am a human sponge when it comes to knowledge. I crave it. Thinking back about past relationships, I've realized that all of the lessons that I've learned from them have been in hindsight. While in the midst of any of those relationships, I never learned anything worth holding on to or passing on. Granted, I learned a lot about who I was, what I wanted and what I would no longer accept. Those were no doubt great lessons. But not exactly what my Uncle was speaking of.

It took me a long time to get here. Here being that place of true understanding of what he meant. I am in a relationship that is beneficial to both parties involved. It transcends anything physical, financial, or emotional. This is an intellectual high. I learned things daily from him. I teach things daily as well. We are sharing knowledge. That is a beautiful thing. This is what my uncle meant. At 15, I wasn't concerned about all of that. There was no real depth to me or my relationships then. Now, I get it. Truly.

It moves me deeply. It's the way things are supposed to be. Intelligence is beyond attractive to me. It's a characteristic that cannot be quantified. But, it's super important. And, yes, I pride myself on being intelligent. Smart is sexy. The sharing of knowledge between two people who are already attracted to one another is amazing. Every day there's something new. Be it politics, music, literature, art, or math, all of it matters. All of the pieces matter. Spread knowledge people!

No comments:

Post a Comment