Sunday, April 29, 2012

This Readers Review: Part VII: "Fifty Shades of Grey"


I've never been one to follow trends or jump on bandwagons. I just like what I like. So I usually only read books that interest me. But sometimes I can be slightly influenced by the culture. I became intrigued by all of the talk of the trilogy of "Fifty Shades of Grey." I just recently started the first book. And, I can honestly say that I'm perplexed. It wasn't what I wanted, expected or needed. The literature lover in me was not moved at all. I'm about halfway through it and it's not that great.

The storyline is basic with a slight twist. The most important issuing this book is the BDSM aspect. Since I'm not into that lifestyle, this book is really not for me. The author's language is very sophomoric. There is the over usage of the expressions "Holy ____ (fill in the blank with cow or sh*t). It tends to get a tad bit redundant. I don't know how this serious has become a #1 best seller. I found grammatical errors throughout as well.

This story grew from a short story based on the "Twilight" story. I can see that. Every other sentence, the author has to remind us how hot Christian Grey is. It's annoying to an avid reader. I like to lose myself inside an authors world. It was hard for me to do that here. I didn't believe any of the scenarios. Ana was bold and strong one second and then a submissive mouse the next. It's exhausting. The BDSM world is a little too weird for me. A little spanking, hair pulling, and tying someone up is cool with me. But, real hardcore BDSM is too much for me to handle. A real life Dominant/Submissive relationship doesn't really intrigue me. So, clearly, this wasn't the book for me.

However, I will finish the set. I need to know how this ends. I'm curious to see if the writing improves any, if Ana grows a permanente backbone and if Christian will ever like to be touched. I need answers. Even if they are badly written. Maybe I'm a gluttony for punishment. But I want to complete it. I'm hearing that a movie is in the works. It's the one time I'm hoping that Hollywood doesn't stick closely to the book. Either way, I'll wait to see it. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is kind of all over the place. It's too heavy on some things and not others. I will say that Christian Grey is a great complex character. I would love to know more about him. He is the saving grace of the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment