Friday, December 02, 2011

Double Standards

We've all heard that old saying. "Every man wants a lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets." I've been in a few relationships, have more than a handful of male friends and have been privy to many discussions on message boards. I have come to the conclusion that this is true to a point. This is what men want when it comes to the woman they "wife." It does not however even play a part when it comes to a girl they are just giving the business to. I pride myself on being a lady. It means the most to me. I also feel that I am more than competent in every arena and all rooms in the house if you know what I'm saying. I don't feel the need to broadcast any of that. I'm more quiet and reserved on the surface. I also believe that the word "freak" is subjective. Sex is a wonderful thing and an interesting topic. I just have never felt the need to discuss it loudly with many. There is something to be said about decorum.

In a relationship, is it true that men would like to think of their women as virgin Mary's? They could go the rest of their lives without ever acknowledging the fact that their woman has been with any other man. I totally get it. but, I think men regard it differently. I don't like thinking of my guy's past. But, I know all of it makes him who he is. The same goes for me. We all learn things along the way. It's those things that shape us. I believe that men are more sensitive about this than women. It's socially acceptable for a man to sleep with multiple partners. A woman in the same situation is deemed easy or a slut. To me, both offenses garner the same response. Both the man and the woman are easy. And, when it comes to numbers, how many is to many? That's a discussion that will never be over. It's all part of that whole double standard that is run rampant in the U.S. Men and women are different.

What constitutes a freak? I have no issue with that word. That's only because I think that if you're in a committed monogamous relationship, you should be a freak for your partner. That's your significant other. I have my boundaries of things I won't do. But, I am open to whatever he and I deem ok. That's what works the best I believe. Labels are thrown around so easily without real thought. The words I never wanted to be associated with as a 21 year old hold no weight in my 31 year old mind. I'm just me. I'm comfortable and confident in that. I can play the lady all day because I embody that. And, I can also play whatever other role cause I'm up for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment