Saturday, May 28, 2011

Two Sides To Every Coin

There are only two categories a person can fall into. They are nice or mean. There really isn't a happy medium between the two. I think that a person can be both at any given time due to the situation. Being too much of either can be a bad thing.

I have definitely been a victim of being too nice. When it comes to my family, I have often over-extended myself. The problem with being too nice is people tend to either take you to granted or use you. Neither of those actions feel good to the recipient. I have learned how to be nice without compromising myself. It started with being able to say no and mean it. Being able to say goodbye to any situation that isn't beneficial to me in any way. My niceness now has a barometer. I had to learn when to say when and when to say "leave me the hell alone." My sanity is better for it.

On the converse side of that, I can be mean. But, it's never unwarranted. When I've been wronged, I definitely have a mean streak. Once a person is on that side of me, it's a bad situation. My brother says I have a way of looking at people that makes them cringe if I'm mad. I am so good at keeping that size of me in check. My temper has calmed down a lot. I'm grateful for that. It needed too. My mouth, however, is still very slick. I'm working on it though.

I've learned that my words are better when I use them efficiently. I am genuinely nice to the people I come in contact with. There are exceptions to every rule though. I try to be the best method is can be at any given time. Losing my cool is not an option any more. I'm a 31 year old woman who wants to be defined by my good characteristics. So I'm working on that. Besides, nice Kenda I so much more fun to be around. How nice or mean are you? Which side do you prefer? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous28 May, 2011

    Being nice can definitely be the gift & the curse. Just don't allow anyone to change you. I learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never allow someone else to dictate who I will be or how I will act. I'm the only person in charge of how I act and react.

    ReplyDelete