Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Politics and Religion

There are two topics that can get even the best of friends riled up. Wars have been waged and friendships lost behind these topics. They are politics and religion. People feel so strongly about the two. And, in general, you are either with them or against them. I an strong in my beliefs on the two. I will always state my position on either of them. I will not dismiss someone who has a strong argument for their beliefs. I also won't lose a friend over a difference of beliefs. Our differences are what make us unique and who we are. That is blueprint to who we all are. Religion and politics are just aspects of us.

Politics are a very tricky, slippery slope. Democrat or Republican or Independent. I am a Democrat. I registered as one because that's what my Mom was. After that, I began researching the party on my own. I looked into all of them. I was sure that my choice was correct. I was a Democrat because my beliefs lined up well with those of the party. I did not have anything in common with the platforms of the Republican party. And, the Independent party seemed too loose and unorganized to me. The campaign and election of President Barack Obama brought a lot of issues to light. Never before had race and politics been so closely aligned. I had numerous conversations and debates with people about my choice.

I became aware of Mr. Obama during the DNC in 2004. Then, he was a little known Senator out of Chicago. He gave a speech that just captured my attention. There was a light in his eyes. He looked like a star. To me, it was feasible that he would be a contender in 2008. Facebook friends and coworkers all seemed to be against him. And, the bottom line was they didn't want a Black President. That thought was astounding to me. I could not truly believe that in 2007/2008, race was an ultimate issue. After I had that epiphany, I stop battling. I showed my support for candidate Obama with pins, shirts, and informing those who didn't know about his appeal. I can definitely say that a small part of me voted for the Black man. Overall, I voted for the best candidate whose platform closely resembled my beliefs. Nothing else mattered more to me. My political standings are my own.

Another hot button topic is religion. I was raised a Baptist. I believe in God. I was baptized as a kid and then again as an adult. My spirituality is important to me. More important than any organized religion. My relationship with God is my own. Religion has always been a sore spot within countries. Wars have been waged and carried on for years behind it. I do not get that with the diversity of religions that there isn't more compassion between them. I believe there is only one God. I do not see how he could be different from religion to religion. He is the alpha and the omega. That should be a universal truth.

I do not debate religion with people any more. It is a lost cause I believe. A person's religious beliefs are usually very strong, deep and true. It's hard to change some one's mind about their God. That is a personal issue. I cannot comprehend how one's religious beliefs would lead them to strapping a bomb on their body and killing themselves and others because of religion. My God doe not operate like that. It appears very cultish to me. Religion has existed for centuries. It hasn't changed fundamentally in eons. The Bible or the Koran both are the word of God with a little bit of man mixed in. To me, those words carry much weight. Religious differences have led to strive and discourse for years. It's a touchy subject when the people aren't like-minded. I love to be engaged by people who are knowledgeable about the Word. Religious conversations are not always easy and simple. Sometimes they get heated and quickly. cooler heads have to prevail for both sides to learn anything.

With all the things going on in the world, religion and politics have been on my mind. It's clear that the world will never be one big "We Are The World" song. I just wish there was a little more understanding and compassion from all of us to people who are different and think different than us. We are all here fighting to live one more day. We pray and we vote. Well, some of us do. Being able to appreciate some one's differences shows a more human side of all of us. I'm a Democratic Baptist who focuses on the issues and my own spirituality. That is my own truth. That may not work for others. But, my ideology works for me. I am open to what people have to say. I take in what feel is useful. I leave the rest for the next person. I'm just me - not overly religious or staunchly political. But, I do have a stance on both issues. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment