Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tat My Name...What?


I am a Drake fan. I have been since his second mixtape. Way before Wayne got ahold of him, way before he was YMCMB. I was a fan. A few nights ago, the Twitterverae was all caught up when Drake and Rick Ross' "Free Spirit" dropped. The beat is ridiculous and I love Drake's verse. I am indifferent to Ross though. There is one line in the chorus that has bugged me since I heard it. "Tat my name on it so I know that it's real." Ummm, sir, WHAT??? What type of ghetto, ignorant ish is this? Tattoo's are permanent. Music careers are not.

I think that Drake is tripping with this one line. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE tattoos. I have a few. I really want at least two more (small) ones. But, tattooing a man's name on me ain't it. I do not believe in such foolishness. That one act would not prove that I loved a man. Nor would it prove that the relationship will last. And, I wonder exactly how could me tattooing his name on my body prove that its "real?" In my eyes, it's real dumb. I would never do that. It goes against everything that I believe in. My love for said man would be proven in a plethora of other ways that would clearly mean more. Conversely, I would absolutely die if a man tatted my name on him. I would be highly concerned. It is not an act of love that I need, want, or desire. And, if he is with me, he would already know this about me. I am totally against it.



Strangely enough, I do not think some rappers realize their influence over young impressionable minds. Drake has a large younger following. Maybe his lyrics should be a little more accountable. I also spotted a picture of a young girl with "Drizzy Drake" tattooed on the back of her thighs. o_O Ma'am? Really? I am dumbfounded. This is insane. In the words of my cousin Janelle, "the children are clearly not our future anymore!" I am still shaking my head. So, in response to Aubrey Drake Graham, "No, sir, I WILL NOT tat your f'n name to let you know it's real." A real man who is in a relationship and in love with me already knows it is so real. No tattoos needed.

4 comments:

  1. justchartina16 September, 2011

    Love it Kenda! Absolutely right..NOT going down!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol girl you already know. It's just insane. Thanks for commenting, Chartina!

    ReplyDelete