Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Remembrance of 9/11


Today marks the 10 year anniversary of an American tragedy. In some ways I still cannot believe that something so horrible happened in America. It's one of those days that one will always remember exactly where they were when it happened. Before this event, no national tragedy had affected my life. I can not say that after 9/11. It opened my eyes to some things. I did not know it was possible to feel such sadness and grief associated with people I did not personally know. It also forced me to grow up some as well. There was no one that could help me understand how a person could do something so evil to innocent people. 9/11 still feels unreal ten years later.

I remember waking up late and rushing to get to class on time. I was still staying on campus then. The walk to class was eerily quiet and devoid of people. I didn't realize this until much later. I just didn't want to be late to my Poli Sci class with Dr. Frantz. I remember entering the building and feeling strange. When I got to class, I noticed that there were a bunch of my classmates standing in the doorway of the main Poli Sci office. I asked my friend Chris what was up. He said "You didn't turn on the tv this morning huh?" I hadn't. I shook my head no. At that moment, my professor rolled a tv into the classroom and turned on CNN. I could not believe what was on the tv. The first plane had hit the first tower. At this point, we just thought it was just a freak accident. WE had no clue what the next hour would bring. Class was dismissed. I took out my cell to call my Mom. But my cell wasn't working. Verizon was down. I made it to a pay phone to make a collect call home. I talk ed to my Granny.

I made it back to my room about 10 minutes later. My roommate Tamara was there already glued to CNN. I changed clothes and joined her. We were having a "we can't believe this has happened" conversation when we watched the second plane hit the second tower. We screamed. It was apparent that this was no accident. We realized we were under attack. I will never forget all the phone calls we got. I think the one moment that will forever haunt me is seeing people jump to their deaths and watching the Towers fall. I couldn't get those images out of my head for the longest time. It was just horrible. I was sick. I never really understood how other countries hated America. That was a very dark day. We didn't sleep. CNN was the only thing we watched all week. I couldn't wait to go home that weekend and just hug my family.

There was a different feeling in the air on campus. There was a sense of unity that I had never felt before. The tragedy of 9/11 sparked a renewed faith in being American. We had a rally and it wasn't about black or white or anything other than the fact that we were Americans. I know in my life there will always be two huge national moments that are definitive. they are 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. Both hugely impacted my life and my outlook on many things. Innocent people died but I think their lives were not lost in vain. We will always remember them. Because we will always remember 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment