Sunday, August 19, 2012

#30in30: Movie Review "Sparkle" Shines



"Sparkle" shines in all the ways it should. I cried while watching this movie. Sparkle" was released on Friday. It was Whitney swan song. Our last look into the talent that she possessed. The remake stands completely alone. It takes turns that the original did not. In that way, the writers made this story their own as did the actors. That is what makes it such a good film. The actors do a great job of giving life to the words. I wasn't really looking forward to seeing the movie after Whitney's death. I thought it may have been too soon. But, I changed my mind & went to see if she shined on screen. She did. That made me happy as a fan.

The storyline was engaging. I was interested in where the characters were going. Seeing Whitney on screen was bittersweet. She was so good in her role. I'm sad that she didn't live to see this. My favorite character was Sister, played by Carmen Ejogo. She was amazing to me. I've never seen her work before. But, I will definitely keep my eye out for her future work. Other stand out performances were those of Mike Epps as Satin, Tika Sumpter as Delores and Omari Hardwick as Levi. Jordin Sparks makes her debut in this film. She plays the title role. She is subdued and shy for most of the movie. I liked her as Sparkle. I don't know if this role truly shows her acting ability.



I will not go into details about the movie. I'll just say that I enjoyed it. All of it. The soundtrack to this film is great. I left the theater with one particular song stuck in my head. I was enthralled with every song in the film. That's probably just the avid music lover in me. The music is rightfully paired with the girl group era of the 60's. Even the new tracks sound as if they were straight out if the 60's. If you haven't seen the original, you won't be lost. This film stands alone. The names of the characters are the same. But, there is so many differences between the two. I'm so glad I went to see it. You should check it out as well. I could watch this film again & again. It was that enjoyable to me. Great actors & great writing will always equal a great movie. Whitney would be extremely proud of her work on "Sparkle." I know I am.

2 comments: