Friday, August 10, 2012

#30in30: Get Into It: Elle Varner "Perfectly Imperfect"


For the last few years, R&B has been on a downward spiral. The infusion of Hip-Hop into R&B has become common place. I do not dislike that aspect. Some times, it can be really good. However, this euro-dance pop infusion is not my cup of tea. I dislike everything about it. I have been yearning for the days of early 90's R&B to come back. There are a few artists who are on the right track. In comes Elle Varner. A new voice that I cannot get enough of. Her debut "Perfectly Imperfect" was released this week. It was everything that I wanted it to be. Sans the J. Cole feature, the cd is pure R&B. 

Elle's strong point is her storytelling ability. All of her songs have that aspects to them. It's something that a lot of artists cannot/do not do. Storytelling in a song is nothing new but it is a lost art. My new favorite song has to be "Sound Proof Room." I love everything about this song. My favorite line has to be from the chorus. "Baby, you should know if I ever get you alone, me & you, me & you, boy we're gonna need a sound proof room. Oh boy we're gonna make a lot of noise." Everything about this song does it for me. I can listen to the cd from beginning to end. It's 11 songs and they are almost perfect. There is one song that I'm not too fond of. But, I still love it. Her first two singles "Only Want To Give It To You" and "Refill" have been on constant rotation since they were released. Tracks like "Stop The Clock," "I Don't Care," "Leaf," and "Not Tonight" are all single worthy. It will be interesting to see what direction her record label goes in.



The cd is full of youthful sounds. It's a really feel good collection. I think this was the perfect follow up to her mixtape "Conversational Lush." I loved her mixtape and feel the same way about her debut. Elle did an awesome job of staying true to the vocal lane she has created. I would love to catch Elle in concert. I have a feeling that she will be quite awesome. If you are looking for a new voice to listen to, go ahead and give Elle Varner a chance. Get into her "Perfectly Imperfect" and "Conversational Lush." Both are well worth a listen. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment