Sunday, August 12, 2012

#30in30: I Remember That Song

"Cash Money Records. Taking over for the 99 and the 2000." - Juvenile





Those words above are the beginning of everything good in my memory from that time. I was a Cash Money fanatic. The only other artist who was getting any play in my room was Jay-Z. But, Cash Money was different to me. They were the home town boys I would see all the time. And, they were making great music that I was digging. As I sat down to brainstorm on a topic for the twelfth day of this 30in30 challenge, I played an oldie but goodie. The Cash Money play list was just the inspiration that I needed. Back when Lil Wayne had more skin visible than tattoos. Back when Ms. Cita didn't allow Wayne to curse. Or back when Turk or B.G. weren't doing time behind those walls. Back when Manny Fresh was the in house beat maker. Back when the Hot Boys were the ish. This is the Cash Money I miss. Not for nothing, I have no issue with Drake, some Nicki tracks. But, I really want that old Cash Money feel back.







I remember going to a Cash Money concert for $5 at this club Grant Street in Lafayette, Louisiana. My girls & I got our tickets early in the afternoon. We were early to the concert that night as well. Grant St. wasn't a big club nor was it fancy. I am sure that we all had on tank tops and shorts and Reebok Classics (or Souljas as we New Orleanians called them). We weren't dressed up at all. We held up our weekly spot, on the left side of the stage by the speakers. We sat on the speakers vibing to the dj until the concert started. My girls & I were drinking our usual, whiskey sours. The Cash Money crew came on stage with little to no fan fare. You have to remember that this was just before the Universal deal. These guys were very humble back then. B.G. literally sat next to me rapping his verses & talking to us. The concert was great. They did all of our favorite tracks, old and new. We shook hands and exchanged hugs with Juvie, B.G., Turk, Wayne, & Manny. They were happy as hell just performing their music. This was the early days before they were seeing big money. To this day, it is still one of the most memorable concerts I've ever attended.







I miss that era of Cash Money music. The early days it was like they only belonged to us. So, I played the first Hot Boys cd in its entirety last night. It is filled with so many memories. Every song brings me back to college. Back to room 207 in Bancroft Hall my freshmen year. I still feel the exact same way when I hear a song from that era. The music was quintessential New Orleans, Everything about it felt like home. The beats always reminds me of the block parties in P-town. The lyrics are a direct result of growing up here. Somewhere on the journey, Cash Money lost that sound, that feeling. I know that things have to change. I get it. It doesn't mean that I can't miss it and yearn for it back. That's the thing about music. It can evoke the tiniest memory from one simple note. This is what my Saturday night turned into. A walk down memory lane with the Hot Boys and Big Tymers supplying the soundtrack. So, I grabbed a glass of Pinot Grigio while rapping along to every word. Cash Money Records old tracks still hold true today. Enjoy the music.




2 comments:

  1. Ahh, brought me back. My brother used to bump all of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my trip down memory lane!!

      Delete