Friday, December 31, 2010

The Reverb Project - Day 17 - 31


This is the second half of my Reverb10 Project.

December 17th - Lesson Learned - What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

The most important thing I learned about myself this year is that I can allow myself to be open again. For almost a year and a half, I was very closed off. I was not in the mood or position to let someone into my life or into my heart. I just didn’t want to deal with that. But, I’m in a much better place now. My heart is def open now. I will continue to follow this path of openness, of allowing myself to feel. That is all I can do. And, I know that it will be the best thing ever.

December 18th - Try - What do you wanna try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did or didn’t go for it?

In the following year, I would like to try to write something every day. I am committed to writing because in the words of dream hampton, “writers write.” I wanted to try a few things in 2010. Some of them worked out really well, others not so much. But, either way, I’m thankful for the experience.

December 19th - Healing - What healed you this year? Was it sudden or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011?

I realized that there was still hope. I had lost that feeling for a while. So, in a way, I was healed by the possibility of hope. It was def a drip-by-drip evolution. It was a slow and steady process. It was def needed in my life this year. In 2011, I would like to be healed of any negative thoughts or actions. I would love to eliminate them totally. that would be quite great to me.

December 20th - Beyond Avoidance - What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? Bonus: Will you do it?

The one thing I should’ve done was just to go. Take the trip I have to take. I was stopped by my fear. I will do it and soon. Because I know its the pathway to my future.

December 21st - Letter To Your Future Self - I blogged about this already here

December 22nd -Travel - How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year?

In 2010, I did not travel enough. That was not the highlight of 2010. I need to travel internationally. It’s a definite must for 2011. I am craving an island vacation, somewhere exotic though. There are a few places I would to vacation in the next year. Mykonos Island, Greece; Fiji; Belize; Turks and Caicos; Dubai, Ochos Rios, Jamaica; Capri, Italy; and St. Thomas just to name a few. I’ve also never been to NYC or Miami or Vegas. So they are on my must see list as well. I’m just ready to go.

December 23rd - New Name - Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

If I had to pick a new name, of would be Kelsi. I’ve been in love with this name for a while now. When I have a daughter, I’m sure this will be her name. I think its a very cute name. And, I just really like it

December 24th - Everything’s OK - What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

The best moment that I can think is New Year’s Day. I just kinda had an epiphany while talking to some family members. I felt lighter as if the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. I just knew that I would be just fine. That my life was changing. I’ve used that feeling to drive me through this year and will continue to use it in 2011

December 25th – Photo – A present to yourself. Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.

This picture best captures who I am. This was snapped on my way to my best friends wedding. It was taken by my cousin. It best reveals about me that I am genuinely happy about my life & those that I love. This was a very wonderful day.

December 26th - Soul Food -What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?

The one meal that I remember the most was crab cakes and salad from Semolinas. It has become my new favorite dish. I need to get the recipe. I can’t say it touched my soul though.

December 27th - Ordinary Joy - Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

Simply seeing my youngest nephew Kole light up when he sees me. He is very attached to his parents and very spoiled. But finally he has warmed up to other people and his recognition and acknowledgement of me was my one joyful ordinary moment of this year.

December 28th - Achieve - What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.

The one thing I want to achieve the most next year is conquering my fear and living the life I love and deserve. I’m sure I will feel happy and free and loved and complete and totally blissful. I know the steps I need to take to get me to there. It’s all about stepping out on faith which is huge. But I see my destiny within my grasp.

December 29th - Defining Moment - Describe a defining moment that has affected your life this year.

At the beginning of the year, while having lunch with my cousin and my brother, I had a lightbulb moment. I felt whatever had been wearing me down lift off me. I just knew that everything that I was carrying from 2009 was over. That I would be perfectly fine. And, I was so right. Things I never expected have transpired this year. 30 was a good look.

December 30th - Gift - This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

The best and most unexpected gift I received this year had to be love. You cannot measure it or quantify it or see it. But, I feel it deep inside of me. It was a gift because I didn't know I needed it, deserved it, desired it until it presented itself to me. Isn't that the ultimate gifft?

December 31st - Core Story - What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world?.

I think my core story is one of love. Because when I love, I love hard and with every thing in me. This is a no brained when it comes to my family. But, what I've realized is that this is also true about me when it comes to the people I let into my life. Once you're in my heart, you're in. This year, I found myself in a situation where I had no choice but to open my heart. Love has a way of doing that. I didn't know I needed it, wasn't even looking for it. I cannot wait to see how my core story grows in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment