Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Reverb Project - Day 1 - 16


Reverb 10 (#reverb10) is now an annual event, an inspired response to (and evolution of) #best09. It’s an open online initiative that encourages participants to reflect on this year and manifest what’s next. It’s an opportunity to retreat and consider the reverberations of your year past, and those that you’d like to create in the year ahead.

December 1st - One Word - Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you.

My word is “brand-new.” I am choosing this word because it fully explains this year. I’ve experienced some brand-new feelings and thoughts this year. I’m more than happy about that. One year from today, I would love for the word to be “blissful.” I’m def working towards that.

December 2nd - Writing - What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

The thing I do most that doesn’t contribute to my writing is procrastinating. I freewrite alot. But, I never really write with focus. I can def eliminate this. I just have to work on it.

December 3rd - Moment - Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).

This is actually an easy question to answer. A week ago, I had the deepest, most emotional and adult conversation with literally the best man I know. I have never been that open and honest with a man about the way I feel. And, I’ve never had a man be so free with me. I felt every word that he spoke. They made me feel all pink and extremely girly. I was delighted and amazed. I was overcome with emotion. But, I was never afraid or ashamed of that. This is only because of him. His voice speaking those words are still on a constant loop in my mind.

December 4th - Wonder - How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year.

Wonder is not an easy thing to capture. But, somehow, I did. In every phone call and email and text from HIM, I held a small piece of wonderful in my hands and in my heart.

December 5th - Let Go - What (or whom) did you let go off this year? Why?

I let go off a girl I used to be the best of friends with. I outgrew the friendship. It was just that’s simple. We’re still cool but I wouldn’t call her my friend. Hey, it is what it is.

December 6th - Make - What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something that you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

I haven’t made anything in a while. I would love to sit and create a Jackson Pollack-inspired painting one day when I’m free. He’s one of my favorite artists. I will use bright paint colors and a nice sized piece of drawing paper.

December 7th - Community - Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create, or more deeply connect with in 2011?

The place that I’ve found community in 2010 has been on Twitter and Tumblr. I’ve had the funniest, thought provoking and funny conversations on these two sites. In 2011, I think I need to focus on an actual community.

December 8th - Beautifully Different - Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on the things that make you different - you’ll find that they are what make you beautiful.

What makes me different? I am a nurturer. I love to take care of people.I’m a great listener and have been told that I give great advice. I tend to remember very specific things about people and always remember birthdays. I think its the little things that count when it comes to family and friends. My heart makes me beautifully different.

December 9th - Party - What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drinks, clothes and shenanigans.

My little cousins high school graduation party in May. It was filled with family and friends. There was bbq and a seafood boil. We (the of age people) drank daiquiri’s and Grey Goose. The weather was sunny and then rainy and back to sunny in a 6 hour period. It was hot, very hot. There was some music from the radio. I enjoyed seeing everyone. We laughed all day. It was a great celebration

December 10th - Wisdom - What was the wisest decision you made this year and how did it play out for you?

The wisest decision I made this year was to allow myself to feel. That’s a huge deal to me because I’d put up this wall. It has played out in many unexpected ways, all incredible positive. I am so full and happy :)

December 11th - Things - What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

My 11 things are fear, loss, procrastination, drama, despair, sadness, heartbreak, anti-social attitude, distance, emo moments, and anger.

I am making a conscious effort to stay away from these elements. I try not to engage in or succumb to them. I believe that with prayer, I can continue down this path. Getting rid of these things will ultimately lead me to my own idea of contentment.

December 12th - Body Integration - This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?

I always feel most integrated with my body. I’m very conscious of my body & my self image. I have been this way since I was about 17. I went from being very thin to very curvy. I like me and that is the next thing ever.

December 13th - Action - When it comes to aspirations, its not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?

My next step is actually writing this book. I mean sitting still long enough to flesh out my ideas and bring these characters to life. My procrastinating has to end.

December 14th (MY BDAY)- Appreciate - What’s the one thing/person you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude about it?

The one person that I’ve come to appreciate most in 2010 has to be KJB. There is nothing or no one who has meant more to me in the past year. I express my gratitude to him with my words. I let him know how much I appreciate him all the time with my laughter, conversations, texts, words (spoken & written) amongst other things. I’m sure he knows exactly where I stand at this point ;)

December 15th - 5 Minutes - Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in 5minutes. Set an alarm and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.

I want to remember my growth this year. And all of the heart to hearts I had with each of my siblings separately this year. I would record any time I hung out with my fave cousin. I def would record the Saints epic Superbowl win and the party that I was @ when it happened. And, hanging with my other fam that weekend in March. I wanna remember the moment that he came back into my life. I def wanna remember the most important conversation and best birthday present from yesterday. All of the conversations I’ve had with my nephews and nieces, my Mom’s 50th birthday and all of the great music and literature that I’ve discovered this year. I think that about fills up my 5 minutes.

December 16th - Friendship - How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

I was given a little more insight into the life of a Muslim woman in Saudi Arabia by a friend. It really opened my eyes. This was a gradual change.

No comments:

Post a Comment