Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Katrina Effect


I will never forget this date. Never forget that hurricane. The images & feelings are embedded into my DNA now. Five years ago, my entire existence was forever altered. I never thought I'd awake in Galveston to scenes of my city underwater. It was surreal. Sort of akin to having an out of body experience. I couldn't believe that I could not go home. That it wasn't even an option. My family was safe, thank God. I didn't lose anyone personally in the waters of Katrina. We were all spread all over the southern U.S. I ached for home, for family, for familiarity. I got nothing in return. I suffered from anxiety about rain & water. I missed everything that was New Orleans...good, bad & indifferent. It was the place that made me me. I will never forget it. I just want my city to be better than before, to flourish & continue to rise above. I came home because I was heartsick & homesick. But, I think I've been cured of that. Nothing will ever remove that period from my life. Everyone here always refers to tings as post & pre-Katrina. That will forever be the case for my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment