Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Day 2: My First Love


When I read that today's topic was "your first love," I was conflicted. I could have gone the normal route and made this post about the first guy I loved. But, in reality, that's not a good story to tell. We met, became friends, fell in love, and fell out of love. End scene here lol. I decided to blog about my first real love: music.

My earliest memories of family life with my Mom and Dad involve music. They both loved music. I'm guessing that's where I get it from. My Dad was a DJ on the side. There was always music playing in my house. My dad & I would sing to each other. I knew every song on the radio and a lot that weren't. Music always brings me back to my happy place. My parents were always amazed by my musical ear. I could tell you the name of a song & who sang it within seconds. It was my thing. The first album (yes, album. I'm a 30 y/o woman :) I ever owned was New Edition's Candy Girl. It was a gift from my Dad along with a record player. I listened to it everyday non-stop. I was a fan from the first time I heard their prepubescent voices. I remember I was a Teena Marie fanatic as a little girl. I also remember crying when my Dad told me she was White. Granted I was like 4 and believed that everyone was like me. I told him "Daddy, Teena Marie is brown like me!!" He had to buy her album to convince me. I still loved her nonetheless. I was a very strange child...who grew into a weird women. But, it's part of my charm :)

Music has always been the most consistent thing in my life. If I'm happy, it enhances my mood. If I'm sad, it lifts me up. I listen to a little of everything musically. If the music is right and the lyrics are on point, I'm good. No, great. I've always turned to music. It inspires me to write. I guess my love of music will always be in me. I can never really claim a favorite song...because it changes daily lol. My favorite singers and groups are Teena Marie, Prince, New Edition, Destiny's Child, Jay-Z, and Eve. My musical tastes are really random though. I could go from listening to Jay-z to Christina Aguilera to 112 to Paramore to Shania Twain and end with Linkin Park. I just like what/who I like. I don't see color in music. I just pursue what moves me. And, that will always be music, my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment