Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Words Mean Things

 
You know what really grinds my gears?!? People who use words without knowing their real definitions and/or those who use words in the wrong manner. You know the type, loud and wrong. Or, even worse, the ones that use it so completely wrong with the proudest look on their faces. I am a woman who loves words. They are just about my favorite thing. As a kid, I used to read the dictionary for fun. I like learning the etymology of a word, the synonyms and antonyms of it. I just like to know all I can about a word. I do not use them to impress people. I use them to impress myself if I'm being perfectly honest. No one is more appreciative of my intelligence than I am. So, this is why I cannot stand for a person to use words wrong in front of me. I have learned how to NOT be the grammar police. Even though it's all I want to do. That reeks of a know-it-all and I don't want to be that woman. People need to book up more books and dictionaries and learn some things. Mainly that words do indeed mean things. They absolutely do. Words are precious and should be treated as such. Respect the words that come out of your mouth. Please. Ok, rant over. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment