Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Get Into It: "Hemlock Grove" & "Luther"

 

I have been spending a lot of time discovering new things via Netflix. Blame the fact that it's the summer and there is little to no new original programming. Either way, it's a win for me. I am watching things I never would have before. First up is the original show from Netflix entitled "Hemlock's Grove." This show is about the supernatural. There are werewolves and vampires. It's a very interesting show. I watched the first season recently. I finished it just in time for season 2, which premieres Friday. The characters are weird and dark and not necessarily good but I like them all. I must warn you that the show is very gory and there is a lot of blood. But, if you can get passed that, you will enjoy it. It's different than other vampire/werewolf movies/shows that I've seen before. I really enjoy the different spin on it. Get into it.
 
 
The second show I discovered is the BBC's "Luther" which stars Idris Elba. I am a total fan of Idris. I've heard about this show for years. But, I never had the BBC to watch it. Along comes Netflix to solve this issue. "Luther" is a cop thriller show centered on the main character John Luther. Luther is a British cop with more than one issue. But, he's a great cop. This show is darker and grimier than other cop shows I watch. I like that about it. The bad thing is that there are only 3 seasons and 14 episodes. The good news is that every episode is full of twists and turns and drama. I loved seeing Idris in this role. He is not playing the lovable bad guy or the heartthrob. He is playing a character that you can easily love or hate, possibly multiple times in one episode. I read that there is a "Luther" movie in the works as well. I would love to see what John Luther does next. This is just a great show that should've been around longer. If you do not have a Netflix account, I don't know what to tell you. Get into it asaptually!!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment