Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Places I Must Visit: Portbelo, Panama

 

Portobelo is a port city in Colon Province, Panama. It is home to not one but two Black Christ statues. This city was ironically discovered and named by Christopher Columbus. I am inclined to believe that this city existed before he "found" it just like America but I digress. I have seen some really gorgeous pictures of the beaches here, the houses and the lifestyle there. All of it makes me excited to see it. But, the main attraction for me are the two Black Christs. I have read the Bible enough to know that Jesus is not the blond haired, blue eyed White man that many depict him as. "Hair like wool and feet like bronze" does not equate a White man to me. I have never accepted the image of Jesus that has been shoved down our throats via the church and mainstream media. From the pictures alone, I can tell that this is something I need to see with my own eyes. I have only recently learned of this place and its history. I cannot wait to go there. It has moved it's way up to the top 5 destination spots. Get into it.



No comments:

Post a Comment