Monday, July 14, 2014

This Reader's Review: Part XXIV : "Unfriending My Ex: And Other Things I'll Never Do" by Kim Stolz

 
The title of this book caught my eyes as I was walking out of the library. "Unfriending My Ex: And Other Things I'll Never Do" is definitely an eye catching title. I double backed to check it out. I recognized the author's face. She was a contestant on one of the early seasons of "America's Next Top Model" which I used to watch religiously with my best friend and goddaughter. Her name is Kim Stolz. Her book is a look into the way social media is changing our interactions with each other.  It's a subject that I can totally relate to. We are so technologically advanced in 2014 but I cannot say it's actually for the better. We have evolved to spending more time on Facebook that actual face to face meetings. In a nutshell, social media isn't actually real. Stolz makes a good point that we all have become slaves to our devices and accounts.


 
 
What I really loved about this book is the way it made me reevaluate the way I interact with people. I am guilty of being addicted to my phone. I constantly check my email and social media accounts. I love the instant gratification of it. But, as Stolz reminds me that none of it is really real. I have unfriended hundreds of people I only casually knew because they did not need to be privy to my life. Even though I do not frequent Facebook or Twitter like I used to, I am still an addict. This book proves it. I liked her in-depth and cheeky look into her own addiction. We are all addicted. I've gotten better with it. This was a great read and I really enjoyed it. Get into it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment