Sunday, June 26, 2011

How To Deal

When things are at their lowest, what do you do to cope? What methods are useful to you? I think that everyone has their one tried and true way to deal with things. Some get angry, some get silent and reflective while some cry. There are those who throw themselves into work or a project so they won't have to deal with things. Others let the issue consume their entire being or isolated themselves from the world. I can't say that any of these are better than the other. Or even if any of them are healthy. We're humans. We find some way to creatively deal with our stuff.

Over the years, my coping mechanisms have changed. I used to be the girl who threw herself into anything else to avoid feeling that pain. I didn't want to face things that would hurt and ultimately change me. I saw so much at such a young age that I internalized my pain. Hell, I still do that. It's a very hard habit to break. I was the oldest and the strong one so breaking wasn't an option. I dealt through writing in my journal and my poetry. As a teenager, that helped me tremendously. It was my way through it all. I'm thankful for that.

Now I know internalizing isn't the healthiest option. But I also know for me it's the easiest. I hate to burden anyone with my stuff. I don't like to ask for help. Handling my issues is a personal thing for me. When I get truly overwhelmed, there are a couple of people I can talk to. I try not to let life consume. I try my best to stay above the fray. Some days are much easier than others. But life is all about forward progression right? That's the only direction. How do you cope? Tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment