Saturday, June 04, 2011

Simplifying My So Called (Internet) Life


De-cluttering my e-life has been an adventure. I would not unfriend or unfollow people because I didn't want them to get angry at me. Clearly, I am over that. I have to look out for me. In an effort to do this, I have to let go off some people. For the second time in less than six months, I had to unfriend a huge chunk of folks on Facebook. The reason was simple. I cannot deal with the daily drama and absurdness that grown people post.

More than 75% of my friends on Facebook, are in my age group. One would think that the topic of conversations would be on an adult level. One would be sadly mistaken. I have read some of the most ridiculous status updates ever since rejoining Facebook almost 2 years ago. I guess I was under the impression that every one grows up eventually. I was dead wrong. Some of my high school friends are seemingly still stuck in high school mentally.

I should not nor do I want to know a friend's every move, thought, or action via Facebook. Especially if they have to do with matters of the heart. The friend who's relationship status changes every few hours. Or the one who loves/hates their significant other all day on Facebook. I cannot take the headache that their words bring. So I elected to click the "unfriend" option. May be nothing to someone else, but it has been too much for me. There was also a lot of negativity that was seeping through the screen as I read some of the statuses. I wanted no part of it. I don't need it around me. So, I simply bowed out.

The crazy thing is I know that I will get friend request from these folks again. I will not bend like I did the first time. I will just hit ignore and keep my Facebook experience positive and light. I love that it reconnects me to my former classmates. That is the great thing about it. I will continue to streamline my list if anyone falls into the above mentioned category. I am sure that Facebook will now return to the great place it was when I first joined. I am the commander of my own page. I will conduct myself accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment